Searching for...

Tuesday 30 June 2015

BOOKISH SIDE OF LIFE: JUNE READING REVIEW 1.7.15


The Blonder Side of Life

~
Updating my completions for this Summer Reading Challenge June thru August 2015
Thanks to Kels' invite!
Pretty pleased with the count so far.  Reached 12/20 for June and 104/120 year.
Here' s how this month stacked up ~
~*~
1st read - Stacie Henry's HOPE's PROMISE
A lovely enovella bringing closure to a WWI couples' romance first discovered in
A HOPE REMEMBERED.  Conclusion to the fantastic Of Love and War trilogy.
~
2nd - Susan Anne Mason's IRISH MEADOWS
A historical romance publishing in 1 week, I loved the romances - yes, more than 1! -
and the character development life situations brought to our sisters and their suitors. Such a good book.  One of my Tuesday Top 10s posted  yesterday.
~
3rd - MC Beaton's DEATH OF A LIAR
June being audiobook month, I focused my reads to that end.  I definitely favour Scottish accents and love revisiting locations I'm familiar with, so MC Beaton's mysteries are a go to .  Office Hamish Macbeth is the police officer of a Highlands village who gets more than his fair share of trouble!
~
4th - EVANLY BODIES by Rhys Bowen
A similar type mystery, this time with a Welsh policeman, and characteristics of Wales.
~
5th - THE WINTER GARDEN MYSTERY by Carola Dunn
Another audio by prolific Brit author [now living stateside]. Interesting historical of the 1930s.
Honourable Daisy Dalrymple who takes employment as a journalist, much to the displeasure of her aristocrat mother. A developing romance between Daisy and detective inspector of a lower class.
Class issues in plain view in this series along with mysterious deaths.
~
6th - AN APPETITE FOR VIOLETS by Maxine Bailey
Set in the 18th century, I found this well written and an intriguing depiction of life of that era.
New to me author, I'll be watching for next reads.
~
7th- SUMMER'S LIST by Anita Higman
Currently on book tour, I will be posting later with thoughts.  A warm and compassionate story of a young woman's relationship with her grandma as she nears life's end.
And the providential re-discovery of a childhood friend...
~
8th - AFTER THE WAR IS OVER by Jennifer Robson
Audio listen of this English tale.  Relationships and life realities in England after WWI
with advances for women at this crucial conjucture in time.  Historical details seamlessly included 
in the telling.
~
9th - THE ROSE GIRLS by Victoria Connelly
Familial tale of 3 sisters reconnected after the mother's passing.  Dramatic and realistic of the
effects on each.  Lovely reconciliation and romances developed as the girls
 work through life together.  A new to me English accented narrator for this audio.
~
10th- THE PRICE OF PRIVILEGE by Jessica Dotta
Concluding gothic novel of the trilogy by the same name.  Hugely anticipated 
as this was a fav series that gripped with intrigue, suspense, gorgeous wordsmithing,
and evocative storytelling. My fav Brit accents by Amanda McKnight narrating.
~
11th- BOUNDARIES by Drs Townsend and Cloud
Sound and helpful material provided in the understanding of the development of boundaries
and the need for same.  Well read by the chosen narrator, who made the material
enjoyable in his ability to characterize samples of people with boundary issues.
~
12th- DEATH OF A CHIMNEY SWEEP by MC Beaton
Another audio of Hamish Macbeth's Scottish Highland adventures, this one
may just be my fav to date... Narrating excellence with every cast member individually
characterized with distinction. 
~*~
On to my 13th and 14th reads before the month ended, I'm now focused on reading for the
Canadian Book Challenge #9 that begins today - Canada's 148th Birthday!
You're very welcome to join the annual fun reading Canadian books/authors
As well as ~
Paris in July !  A month of reading everything Paris and French inspired.
Links to join either are on the sidebar.
~*~
Thank you to Kels for the Bookish Side of Life Summer Challenge!
signup if you'd like to join us for July and August
I keep a running update of my Summer Reading HERE
~*~
Find other partyers linking up their June Reading HERE
What new reads will inspire you...?


~*~


Shared with ~
*Bookish Side of Life * Literacy Musing Mondays * Book Nook *
~*~
FIND MORE FHC on BOOK DEPOSITORY | PINTEREST | TWITTER | GOOGLE+ | GOODREADS | FACEBOOK | NETWORKED BLOGS | LIBRARYTHING


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shoot you're on a roll!! My yearly goal is 100 and I'm a bit behind where I need to be, but this job is slowly cutting off all my reading time. Anyway, I've added several of your books to my list so thank you!! And thanks for linkin up with me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails