Searching for...

Friday 11 October 2013

Dewey's 24 Hour Annual Read-a-Thon October 12th 2013

Are you ready for the 24 Hour Dewey's Read-a-Thon?
Long running, well organized,
Start times for you {wherever you are in this Big World}
 found HERE
*
Tips for participating?
Posted today at Dewey's Read-a-Thon,
Chris reminisces on the initiator
and on successful reading as follows...
*
I couldn’t help but smile when I went back to my old posts ... Here’s what I wrote [with a few updates]:
Top Ten Ways To Keep Your Eyes Pried Open 
During the Readathon:

1. Caffeine consumption in very large amounts 
(various types of caffeinated beverages a plus) – Update: - please don’t listen to this advice!!!! SOME caffeine consumption YES! 

2. Get in the car and drive around! 
Update: Yes! This still is a must. You have to get out of your house. Don’t worry about missing out on a few minutes of reading. Trust me, it’s good to get a change of scenery.
{You can always listen to an audio book enroute!}

3. Run around in your yard and don’t worry what the neighbors think. 
Update: Well this is always a fun one…and trust me, it just wakes you up even more when you get strange looks from your neighbors….p.s….you may want to put a limit on just HOW bizarre you act in your yard >_> Fine lines here people, that don’t need to be crossed.

4. Change places a lot. 
Update: Yes. If you feel your eyes getting tired, go outside. If they’re still tired, get in your car and go to a coffee shop or something. DON’T go to your bed. Unless you’re ready for #5.

5. Go ahead and just give in and nap! Update: This is not a competition! Well, unless it is for you. But I’ve found that taking a little nap really helps me. When I can’t fight it anymore I don’t and it’s so nice to feel refreshed. I don’t think I’ve ever made it to the very end, but taking a nap around 6 or 7 pm normally helps me make it til 4 or 5 am.
6. Stuff your face with some food for a little while! 
...There are foods that have  become standard readathon snacks for me and they’re usually junk... But the readathon is a day to just relax in your pajamas, throw away your diet and have fun! Just be sure not to sugar crash.

7. Don’t read the tiny print books. 
Update: Really…just trust me on this one. Don’t. Even if you think it’s a good idea, IT’S NOT!! They will make your eyes tired so fast and you’ll get frustrated really quick that you’re making slow progress.

8. Don’t read the fat books! 
Update: Really…just trust me on this one too. For the same reason as above. You’ll also get frustrated here when you finish one book (maybe) in 24 hours. Stick with 350 pages or less. Novellas are EXCELLENT!

9. Take a shower! 
Update: There is no better way to wake up than this!! Take 5 if you need to!

10. And once again, PLENTY OF CAFFEINATED BEVERAGES! ...bad bad bad advice. Don’t listen to me.
And.... I’m adding a number 
11. Read for charity! 

I know not everyone can afford this, but if you can, go for it! .. there are so many other fantastic charities out there too. IF you can afford it, pick one and donate X amount of money per page. I donate 10 cents per page read. So $10 for every 100 pages I read.
So there you have it….my advice for you this readathon. Oh….most important of all…HAVE FUN!
*
There you have it !
First hand experience from participant Chris.
*
Being the book department overseer for a local charity shop,
I will encourage you in another way to support charities.
Choose your Read-a-Thon books
from your local charity / thrift shop!
You will have many more books for less cost. Plus, the price you pay goes to support amazingly great projects according to your place of purchase! 
*

Any other Faith Hope and Cherrytea readers
joining me during the 24 hrs?
{BBC's Derbyshire book exchange}
*
Now....
what will we choose to read ...?
*



7 comments:

Kate @Midnight Book Girl said...

I'll be cheering you on tomorrow for Readathon for Team Panda! Good luck and good reading!

Faith Hope and Cherrytea said...

Many thanks, Kate!

Lily Anne said...

Happy Reading to you! I have had a really rough week,so I am going to join you in your Read-A-Thon. At least for as long as I am able.
I think I deserve a day off. I'll stay in my jammies and have a cuppa tea or two... Hmm, now what to read...

LuAnn @ BackPorchervations said...

I was sitting here so happy that I saw your post email come in. Now I'm thinking, oh my goodness, what have I gotten myself into this time? *lol* Rock on, sister, let's do this!

Becca Sanborn said...

Cheering you on from Team Panda!

Faith Hope and Cherrytea said...

YAY Lily Anne and LuAnn !
Excited you're part of the FuN - cheers to jammies,cuppas + reading ;)
Have a great day no matter how much or little you get to read - enJoY it!

Thx for being here for us Becca [team panda] :))

vikk simmons said...

Loved your tips. Great ideas.

Have a great read-a-thon!

Related Posts with Thumbnails